28.5.11

Meatballs

The other day I was assigned the task of dinner: Swedish meatballs and potatoes.  My mother and sister were out shopping and my sister told me on the phone that the meatballs were in our freezer in the basement.  So I went down stairs in search of the meatballs. 

Background story to fill you in:  I am Mormon, and as such we believe in keeping a food storage so that we can be self reliant and prepared for a natural disaster, losing a job, a forgotten ward potluck, or having hungry missionaries for dinner (well the last two reasons are not exactly why... but food storage definitely comes in handy at those real emergencies).  In our basement we have a huge food storage area that looks much like a mini store.  It is a joke (a very accurate joke) in my family that no one besides my mom can ever find what we are looking for.  

Knowing all this I thought to myself as I was walking down the stairs, "This time I will not call my mom and ask ten times where the meatballs are... this time I shall do the impossible and find the meatballs by MYSELF."  And those were my last words.... if only I had known better.  

After 10 minutes of looking in the big downstairs freezer (we have two) I decided that I was not properly equipped for such a mission.  I went to my room and pulled on my warmest hoodie, the giant fuzzy one my dad brought back from Oxford University.  It is big enough to cover  my hands as well.  I ran downstairs and continued to look, pulling everything out. 


Then I heard someone arriving home.  With relief I called out, "Mom?".  Then my dad popped out his head out the basement door and said "nope, its Dad."  "Oh," I said in complete despair.  Needless to say he felt welcomed, but he understood after I explained my predicament.  He offered to help but as soon as he looked in the freezer a box of ice cream sandwiches caught his eye and he grabbed one and was consumed with eating it as he supervised my search :D

Then I gave up and went upstairs about to call my mom.  But before I did I decided to check the freezer in the kitchen.  In utter joy I saw the meatballs!!!  I had succeeded in doing what no child had done before!  I had found the ingredients for dinner without having to ask my mom where,  not even once!

No comments:

Post a Comment